About Me

My Photo
johnkweber
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
View my complete profile

Linkedin

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Monday, January 5, 2009

The 4 hour work week - Tim Ferris

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com

I read a lot, I love reading and I enjoy reading about real people doing real things. I have this buddy at work who has for the last few months been dropping a name of a book that he has read which is changing his lifestyle. Ok, how many times have I heard that before? Too many to count. In all honesty, every other book that gets read from cover to cover can change your life if you decide it has bearing on your current way of doing things and there is a new way to live your life.

After looking around at a number of bookstores only to hear that the book has been sold out again and again, I decided to get it on order. Must be interesting... So I finally get the book and read it from cover to cover. Very interesting ...

The most interesting thing that I notice is that Tim goes out and does things. He does not talk about doing things. If he talks about it, then he has done them already. Every person I know talks about wanting to do things. Tomorrow, next week, next year even. How about going to do it right now. Figure out what it is you want to do and go do it now!

Life is way to short to live it in the the hope of a better tomorrow. Now is the best time you have. It will always be the best time you have. Every moment you get a chance to make something happen and to do something new. Man it is really quite exciting when you think about it all. Most people think out all the possible scenarios that can go wrong if they try certain things. Half the fun is actually doing it and figuring out that it was never really that hard or never really that easy. That is half the fun. The rest of the fun is the experiences you gain whilst doing these new things.

I have always lived my life by this maxim "I am entirely responsible for what happens in my life." I have a christian upbringing and therefore I do acknowledge a higher power, but ultimately I am responsible for what happens and I am accountable for my actions. Therefore, dont let other people live your life for you. Also dont live your life to satisfy other people. (dont mess other peoples lives up) but live your life with the full conviction that you are ultimately responsible for it and the end results.

The book - the 4 hour work week by Tim Ferris is one of those books that makes you realise that life is about doing things. I loved it and give it a 10 out of 10 for the way it is written and the content matter.

So what it my next exciting event in my life? That is exactly the point I am trying to make, the next few moments in my life may just be the moments that define how I live the rest of my life. It better be something great and not mediocre otherwise I will live a boring and unfulfilled life.

So think about what you are doing and how you are doing it. As the cover of Tim's book says, "Dont read this book if you dont want to quit your job"

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com